Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Process Drama, Wagamama, and The Globe

The last couple of days were pretty busy!  On Tuesday we had our first class.  With Professor Taylor we began our process drama experience.  We did the whole beginning of a process drama with the Tower of London.  I loved talking about the different things that people learned about the Tower of London.  I still really want to go back.  That evening we wondered around for a bit and ended up at a Wagamama.  I am including this in my journal entry because my last time studying here, I was OBSESSED with eating at a Wagamama.  The only sad piece is that the reason I wanted to go was to eat the big, thick yummy noodles which OF COURSE are wheat.  Boo... However, like a big family dinner, we all sat around the table and had a lovely time.

Wagamama Dinner! 

Yesterday we had an awesome day at the Globe.  My focus while in the program is to study more about Shakespeare and use it in my classroom.  I am choosing to focus on Shakespeare for youth and how to make it accessible for younger kids.  With this in mind, I went to the Globe yesterday.   I have been there a couple times before, but this was particularly fun for me because I looked at it through the lens of the teacher and what I thought would be good information for me to know.  The exhibition is not huge but has some great information.

The most exciting part of the day was the workshop with did with Globe Education.  We worked with a man named Colin who has been at the Globe on-stage and off for over 12 years.  Not only was he clever and engaging, I loved his workshop.  It wasn't long enough and I wished we had had more time with him but he was truly the model of what a good teaching artist is.  I love that I am adding to my theater education toolbox and can't wait to try some of these activities when I get home.
Shakespeare Fan Girls 
After our workshop we saw an AMAZING production of Midsummer Night's Dream.  For those of you don't know, it's my FAVORITE Shakespeare show and one I have done with my 4th graders.  I was laughing so loud at the play-within-a-play that the boys in front of me (who talked the WHOLE show) straight up turned around and stared at me.  I couldn't help it.  It was SO well done.  AND the set actually broke in a place where there was a ton of chaos and mayhem.  It wasn't supposed to and that made it even better.  As theater people we were all watching to see how they were dealing with it. :-)  It was a reminder of why I LOVE this program and LOVE theater.  After the show we discussed our favorite parts of the show and why we did or did not like the direction.  Being in graduate school is fun because everyone is as nerdy as you are.


PICTURES OF MIDSUMMER NIGHT'S DREAM AT THE GLOBE 
(Photos courtesy of the Globe's Facebook Page.  Photo credit (c) John Hayes)






PICTURES OF THE GLOBE EXHIBITION



Model of the Globe

Model of the Rose Theatre

Queen Elizabeth Costume
Closer up 





No comments:

Post a Comment